Experience of a lifetime

Monday, August 13, 2007

Earthquakes & tidal waves & Flossies...Oh My!


I'm writing this while sitting at my kitchen table listening to the few coqui frogs brave enough to break the eerie silence outside. From what CNN's 'situation room' told me on my lunch break today, the entire Big Island is on the brink of destruction. It really means the kids are excused from school tomorrow, all hospital employees are encouraged to bring 2 days worth of clothes to work tomorrow, and surfers better eat their wheaties(or granola!). I was briefed at work today that the media is downplaying the potential destruction ahead in order to avoid panic.

Hurricane Flossie is lumbering towards the vacinity of the islands at a blistering 16mph. It's fluctuating between category 3 and 4 Hurricane status meaning the bowels of the storm are sustaining winds above 120mph. The storm is weakening, though not as fast as predicted. And it's also supposed to miss Hilo by at least 100 miles ('as predicted') but I will probably experience some pretty strong winds and rain-related land slides on this side of "aina".

I prepared myself by getting an extra case of water, some candles and some more canned goods. If the worst happens and we lose power...we can always pick a few extra oranges, bananas, and papayas from our backyard!

Judging by the uproar from citizens after the 24 hours without power after the earthquake in October, HELCO's disaster plan will have us back with power in a few days at the longest. I am prepared for at least that. If not, Walmart has come to rescue America's citizens in the face of disaster and have opened their doors for disaster spending 24 hours-a-day. I think they are pre-approving people for FEMA loans!

It has just started to rain and it's time for dinner. It's another night as normal in my new (really old) plantation house in Papaikou. Keep watching CNN or Fox or whatever but just take it with a grain of seasalt. I'm safe and will be safe...working my tale off in the hospital!

Until after Flossie,

Paul

1 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Big-D said...

Damn-it, when I saw the title of Flossie I thought you had some pics of some nice swimsuits from the beach:)

Anyways hope you are safe, and I will see you at the wedding in a week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home