Experience of a lifetime

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hilo Bay 10k



A nice Sunday morning run along Hilo Bay turned out to be quite a treat today. The Big Island Road Runners (BIRR) put on a fundraising race today to help fund the scholarships they give annually to area high school runners who plan on continuing in college. This race wasn't quite as big as the Waiakea HS Warrior 3 mile a few weeks ago but it was a good race.

IT was really warm and humid by the end of it, as there was no breeze so early in the morning. I've been training well, and it paid off, I won in a time of 34:28, much slower than my track days, but I'm working on it. I won a gift certificate to a local Italian seafood restaurant, Pescatore, that should probably be used when I have a visitor come out this way...

Yesterday I spent the better part of the afternoon at Honolii cove beach a few miles north of Downtown Hilo, watching surfers and boogie boarders ride the waves. The picture on the left above is of a surfer at Honolii beach a few days ago when I was just passing buy and stopped to check it out. THe pic on the right is me and Dad at Akaka Falls State park 15 miles north of Hilo. The falls are around 400 feet tall, pretty amazing.

It rained for about 5 minutes, but looked like it would rain for about an hour. That would have been enough to clear out a beach in MN, but people just don't seem to care that it rains when they are at the beach here.

Today, I'm going to another beach up the coast for a BBQ with a guy I met, who actually went to school with my brother's fiancee's brother. Confusing enough? The sun is shining outside and I'm getting picked up in a few minutes, so I need to go pack a few things and put sunscreen on, without it I become a baked haole brah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home