Experience of a lifetime

Friday, September 01, 2006

Day off

I enjoyed a day off from work today, but I spent all day running around town, literally. I biked all over to take care of some errands; check out some cars, get my bike checked out (the fender doesn't fit), picked up some food, survived the crowds at walmart (yuck! there's a walmart here) and went for a run.

The running...is awesome here. I've been busy finding some "cherry" routes as they say out here. It's impossible to run more than a few miles without having to climb or descend a big hill. This is a welcomed experience after running for 5 years in the flats of the Red River Valley (Not that there's anything wrong with that), but I like a change of pace, literally. I just finished writing all the local races into my new calender/organizer that I got from the disgusting walmart. As I looked at the 150+ running and triathlon in the state-wide endurance sports event calendar, I was watching a local TV station.

The show was all about community events and entertainment, showcasing different indivduals and groups holding fundraisers and celebrations. The best part was the name, "Eh, U da kine, ah!" and there was this huge Hawaiian dude hosting it, laughing at almost anything the people being interviewed said. I have been hooked on that channel (when I do watch TV while I eat dinner) because they play mostly local Island music videos or surfing competitions.

I'm enjoying all the little things that are different about life here so far, even though I don't quite feel like I live here yet. I like how the people laugh about how much rain we get here, I was always used to people grumbling about snow or wind in Grand Forks, and I was one of them. Don't get me wrong, I will miss Minnesota and North Dakota, but right now I'm enjoying my time here. I don't even feel bad that I have to work the Holiday weekend! I'm in Hawaii!

For now, I gotta rest up for an early day of work tomorrow. I promise, pictures soon. Aloha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home