Experience of a lifetime

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Job

I've started work out here, and I've decided to describe that first before I write about and add pictures from the time my Dad and I got to sight see around the Big Island.

I am a clinical Dietitian at the only decent sized hospital on the island. It has about 150 beds and a 120 bed long-term care unit. Adjacent to the Hospital a VA (veteran's affairs) home is being constructed with a capacity of 90 residents. So far I've been reading policies and procedures, getting tours, and training under some very intelligent and experienced Dietitians. I've been "let loose" on the surgical, or Laulima floor as it is known to the people here. Soon I'll also be getting trained in on the Medical unit, Cardiac Critical care unit, OB, Psych, and long term care. All the nurses, doctors and Therapists have been nice so far, but most ask me why I moved from MN? I guess everyone wants to know, they all think I'm what they call a "traveler", someone who signs on for relief work for less than 6 months.

I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the flow of care at this hospital and have had good experiences when talking to patients so far. Today I made my first visit to a patient in the Psych unit...interesting but not very beneficial for either of us at the time!

My co-workers in the department are nice people, and they've been very helpful sources when I come across local food or lingo. It seem like all the meals here come with rice, miso soup is huge here, and so is Saimin (ramen noodles) and shoyu (japanese for soy sauce).

I'm living with the Hospital's kitchen manager, Mark, for the time being. It's nice since he lives less than a mile away from the hospital and just over a mile from the downtown area of Hilo. Hilo is an old town where life is slow and the peole that live here enjoy it that way. Most stores and restaurants are closed on Sundays and the nightlife is pretty much non-existent from what people tell me. I think it will be a great change of pace from the hustle and bustle of Grand Forks! THe town is about the same size, 45,000 people, with a University that has close to 5000 students and another community college too. The surrounding areas bring the number closer to 70000 who use Hilo as there main retail market. The town reminds me slightly of Duluth in that it has a port and is laid out on a hill. It's nearly impossible to get lost because you'll eventually run into the bay or be going uphill and get your bearings. There is a lot of history and tradition here with the native Hawaiians and the other cultures that migrated here over the years for a number of industries that have come and gone.

I'll have more than enough to explore with all the culture, outdoor activities, food, and everything else I have yet to find in Hilo. I'm excited to be here even though it is hard at times to realize I'm alone in this. I've already made some connections with some neat people and have talked to some of you who will read this blog. I always get excited when I get to tell people what I'm doing over here! I'll write more bumbye (later), but for now it's Pau Hana for me (done for the day).

If you read this, feel free to comment (it's free) because it will help jog my memory to write about all I've done and seen here so far. Pictures will be coming soon too...

Take care everyone!

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Paul and welcome to the Big Island! I stumbled upon your site while browsing through my stats (bigislandgrinds.com).

I know you won't be dissapointed with Hilo. You made a great decision moving -- Hilo is a wonderful place to live!

Congrats on your job and thanks for the link. Just let me know if you need any help with food stuff or local kine lingo!

And be sure to try a loco moco at Ken's House of Pancakes or Blane's Drive In! :D hehe..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home