Experience of a lifetime

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Forrest Gump in Hawaii???

Nice title huh. Well I just finished my run after work and I got poured on! It rained close to an inch during the 70 minutes I was out on the roads, but it didn't rain for about 40 minutes of it! Go figure. The rain came from all directions, all sizes, and even came up through my shoes. The best part was that I loved every second of it. The rain felt so good compared the humidity I've been running in most of the week. It has been drier than usual here, having not rained most of the last week or so. I guess I can expect more days like today to make up for the 27 inches of rain we average each month.

The running is going well, I have plenty of time to do it since I've decide to start my work days at 7am and work until 3:30. I have my afternoons to unwind and hit the roads. I enjoy work so far, I'm getting pretty well acquainted with the staff and doctors at the hospital and am getting used to the daily routine. I guess some of the nurses and OT's are getting together to BBG and snorkel at Richardson's beach this weekend, so I think I'll have to check that out. That is, after the Hilo bay 5k/10 on Sunday morning, put on by the Big Island Road Runner's club. Yesterday I had another day off, and I spent it looking for cars, checkin out my loan options and biking to different beaches. Before I knew it, I had put about 25 miles on my bike! I checked out the nearest surf spot, Honolii paka, but I haven't surfed yet...and I may not get around to it before the waves leave this side of the island for the "winter".

Tomorrow is my first day covering the entire acute hospital by myself, which will be a busy day, but I know I can manage. I've gotten a good feel for how to prioritize the workload the way it best works for the department. I'm looking forward to exploring more of the town/island this weekend, I may ride up to Akaka falls or Volcano to check those out again. I'm also looking forward to heading to the ADA convention in Honolulu the following weekend for three days. Work is flying me and 2 other Dietitians there and putting me up in the Ala Moana hotel, right near downtown and Waikiki beach. IT should be a blast and I hope to listen to some interesting speakers.

I better get going, I just got some Big Island Pizza delivered. Gotta Kau Kau (that means eat)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home